Dare And Need
Dare And Need
Dare used as a semi-modal verb means ‘to have the courage to do something or to express anger at something’ and is often used negatively also.
Dare does not change its form, such as ending with an –s for the third person singular.
- No: It looks like he dares fight the big guy.
- Yes: It looks like he dare fight the big guy.
- No: No one dares go in there which is said to be haunted.
- Yes: No one dare go in there which is said to be haunted.
- No: Jack dares not tell her about his liking another girl.
- Yes: Jack dare not tell her about his liking another girl.
Dare is often accompanied with the negative word not to form negative statements. There is contraction of dare not which is daren’t, but it is rarely used also.
- They dare not (daren’t) complain about the boss’s son.
- I dare not talk to her when she is in bad mood.
- She dare not sleep alone in the dark.
Dare comes first before the subject to form questions.
- How dare you rudely interrupt when I’m on the phone talking?
- Dare he deny it when he is caught red-handed?
- Dare anyone say I can’t do it?
Dare with to-infinitive.
The infinitive with to does not follow the semi-modal dare. But when the negative form of dare is used, to may or may not be used .
- No: How dare you to tell your younger brother to keep a snake as pet.
- Yes: How dare you tell your younger brother to keep a snake as pet.
- Yes: We don’t dare to tell her that he describes her as an old turkey.
- Yes: We don’t dare tell her that he describes her as an old turkey.
Need like the other semi-modal verbs can both act as a modal verb and a main verb. It follows the subject and in turn is followed by the main verb.
The semi-modal need is used in mostly negative sentences with the word not following it. Together, they can be contracted to needn’t.
- You need not (needn’t) be bothered by what they said.
- We need not hurry as it is still early.We need not hurry as it is still early.
- He need not apologize because it’s not his fault.
Negative words such as none, nothing, and no one can be used with need.
- None of you need worry – we are safe and will arrive at our destination soon.
- Nothing need to be done for now.
- No one need know you have been in prison if you don’t tell them.
Other negative words such as don’t, doesn’t, and didn’t are not used with the semi-modal verb need.
- No: Do we need discuss the problem now?
- Yes: Need we discuss the problem now?
- No: He does need write down the addresses of those he is
- Yes: He need write down the addresses of those he is applying.
- No: I don’t need spend a lot of time watching television.
- Yes: I need not spend a lot of time watching television.
Need like all the other semi-modal verbs is placed before the subject in questions.
- Need we be offended by that careless remark?
- Need I have to treat you all the time?